Moisturizers are vital for all types of skin, including oily skin. Skipping this step may cause dehydration, which stimulates the sebaceous glands into hyperdrive. The result is clogged pores and potential outbreaks.
Fast-absorbing, water-based products replenish lost moisture and lock in nutrients to maintain a healthy oil balance. Their powerful hydrating agents improve skin tone and texture and strengthen the skin barrier.
This article lists 5 moisturizing skincare products especially suited for oily skin because their oil-free ingredients form a protective layer, attract water from deeper skin layers, and leave a smooth texture.
5 Best Moisturizers for Oily Skin
Moisturizers for oily skin are typically gentle and lightweight. They contain non-comedogenic agents that regulate sebum production and hydrate all skin layers.
Below is a list of 5 products that can help you reduce oily skin while keeping it nourished, protected, and well-moisturized.
Note: Moisturizers are not the only products oily skin can benefit from. Find out what the best skincare products for oily skin are and how to craft a complete skincare routine.
1. Face Reality Hydrabalance Hydrating Gel
This water-based hydrating gel is packed with calming ingredients that help minimize the appearance of an oily sheen. It provides lightweight hydration and antioxidant protection and can be used with Acne Med or benzoyl peroxide topical products.
Key ingredients include the following:
- Syringa vulgaris (lilac stem cells) – Helps to control sebum production and soothe the skin with its antifungal, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Sodium hyaluronate – Attracts and binds moisture to the skin without clogging pores.
- Totarol – A natural anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial agent responsible for reducing breakouts, nourishing, and protecting the skin.
- Phenyl-n-butyl nitrone (spin trap) – This so-called “intelligent antioxidant” neutralizes free radicals by transforming them into useful oxygen.
Its soothing formula is ideal for dehydrated, oily, acne-, and blemish-prone skin. You can use it before or after a serum for extra hydration. Apply one to three pumps on the face and neck twice daily, avoiding contact with the eye area.
2. Face Reality ClearDerma Moisturizer
This non-comedogenic, oil-free moisturizer provides gentle hydration and a powerful antioxidant boost. The refreshing formula feels light on the skin, regulates oil production, and protects the outer skin layer.
Its soothing, antibacterial ingredients are the following:
- Syringa vulgaris (lilac stem cells). – Controls sebum production and calms compromised skin with a combination of antifungal, antibacterial agents.
- Green tea extract – Has a soothing, anti-inflammatory effect.
- Allantoin – Promotes cell renewal and reduces mild inflammation.
- Totarol – Neutralizes acne-causing bacteria and free radicals to repair irritated or damaged skin.
The lightweight texture and deeply moisturizing properties make ClearDerma suitable for normal to oily skin types prone to breakouts. Apply a small amount all over the face and neck, avoiding the eyes. Do not apply over Acne Med.
3. ALASTIN Ultra Light Moisturizer with TriHex Technology®
ALASTIN provides lightweight hydration with a silky finish. Its proprietary TriHex technology rebuilds collagen and elastin and removes their damaged fragments to support the skin’s natural rejuvenation process.
Note: Learn how collagen and elastin differ and how to increase their production.
The product’s active ingredients include the following:
- Silver mushroom – Promotes skin hydration by drawing moisture to the skin.
- Ginger root extract - Its soothing, anti-irritant properties are ideal for sensitive skin.
- Ceramide NP – Reinforces skin barrier function and retains skin’s moisture.
- White tea leaf extract – Has a calming, antioxidant effect.
This hypoallergenic moisturizer is perfect for oily, combination, and compromised skin (e.g., after a cosmetic treatment). Apply one pump to your face twice daily, in the morning and evening.
4. SkinMedica Ultra Sheer Moisturizer
Ultra Sheer is a lightweight, non-comedogenic moisturizer that hydrates the skin, restores moisture balance, and enhances overall skin quality. It is rich in antioxidant vitamins C and E, helping to neutralize free radical damage while providing gentle hydration.
Its formulation contains the following components:
- Panthenol – This humectant has powerful soothing and moisturizing effects.
- Sodium hyaluronate – This hyaluronic acid derivative retains up to 40 times its weight in water.
- Vitamin E – Tocopherol (pure vitamin E) keeps the skin radiant and healthy.
- Vitamin C – Tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate is a stable, oil-soluble form of vitamin C that provides antioxidant protection and improves firmness and elasticity.
Note: Learn more about how vitamins help you tighten loose skin.
This non-oily facial lotion is appropriate for oily and combination skin types. Apply twice daily to your face, neck, or chest. Gently massage into the skin after cleansing, toning, and applying other treatment products.
5. Osmosis MD Quench Moisturizer
This quick-absorbing daily moisturizer helps restore the skin’s barrier. Its lightweight emollient formula delivers gentle, soothing hydration with a refreshing citrus scent.
Its active ingredients include the following:
- Jojoba seed oil – Balances skin’s natural oil production and gives it a softer, smoother appearance.
- Lemon oil – Its antibacterial properties reduce inflammation in acne-prone skin.
- Shea butter – Helps the skin retain water for a supple, non-greasy finish.
- Hyaluronic acid – Binds water molecules to increase the moisture content on all skin levels, strengthening the skin barrier.
- Peptides – Plump the skin by drawing in moisture on a cellular level.
This nourishing moisturizer is appropriate for all skin types. Dermatologists recommend it for oily, acne-prone skin, and sensitive, dry, aging, or blemish-prone skin. Apply a small amount to damp face and neck to lock in extra moisture. Use after cleansers and serums twice daily.
Understanding your skin type helps you modify your skincare routine to address your skin concerns and get the most out of a moisturizer. Oily skin requires consistent, daily hydration with products that contain nourishing ingredients while regulating sebum production and reducing shine.
For more product recommendations and skin care tips, contact Vibrant Skin Bar.
Next, learn how to properly care for oily skin in the summer.